Although it’s natural to feel disappointment or fear, it’s essential that you:
- Remain calm
- Avoid yelling or losing your temper
- Two important factors are gaining the trust of the substance user and offering empathy and understanding
- Non-confrontational question and answer methods – remove emotions
- Effective communication - reduces conflict
- Be aware of body language
- Motivate the person to make a change rather than command it.
If your loved one is willing to explore the issue, refer him or her to HABZ.